Headline News

Caledon forced back into Phase 2 as number of COVID-19 cases rise across Peel Region

October 15, 2020   ·   0 Comments

Written By ALYSSA PARKHILL

LOCAL JOURNALISM INITIATIVE REPORTER

With some areas of Ontario currently in the midst of a ‘second wave’ of the COVID-19 pandemic, the provincial government has taken steps to scale back day-to-day operations in three Ontario regions – including right here in Caledon. 

Premier Doug Ford announced last week that Toronto, Ottawa and Peel Region would be demoted back to Stage 2 of the Province’s COVID-19 measures, due to a massive influx in positive cases in the three areas. 

The move, which Ford has said will be temporary,  came after several consultations between provincial officials and Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams. The order will remain in place for at least 28 days. 

“The health experts presented the most recent health data, which identified some alarming public health trends that require immediate attention and early action to keep people safe,” said Premier Doug Ford. “That’s why we are making the difficult, but necessary decision to accept the health advice, and impose further restrictions in Toronto, Ottawa and Peel Region.”

Effective October 10, social gatherings as well as public events are set at a maximum of 10 people indoors, and 25 outdoors. Indoor service at restaurants, bars and food establishment is not allowed. 

Indoor gyms, casinos, bingo halls, movie theatres, art centres and venues, museums, zoos and other interactive exhibits are now closed for the time being. 

Capacity limits are being implemented on tour and guide services, real estate open houses, in-person teaching and meeting and event spaces to 10 people indoors maximum and 25 outdoors.

“We are seeing the percentage of people testing positive for COVID-19 rising, hospitalization rates are growing, and community outbreaks are entering our nursing homes and vulnerable congregate settings,” said Chief Medical Officer of Health, Dr. David Williams. “We need to act quickly, and we need everyone to follow the public health guidelines if we are going to stop the spread and contain the second wave.”

Caledon residents along with Mayor Allan Thompson have voiced concerns on closing local businesses and how they will be impacted. Thompson took to Facebook discussing his concerns, and his conversations he’s had with different ministers and the Premier about Caledon’s numbers and the risks these closures will have. 

“In a decision like this there is no win. It’s going to be hard and leaders from every level of government must continue to work together and do all we can to support business,” Thompson stated. “I can’t say loudly enough how important it is to shop local and support local as they once again have to adapt and pivot under renewed restrictions.”

The Town of Caledon announced their preparations and modifications as they adapt to the province’s new measures, and what will be closed for the next little while.

These included fitness centres and classes, program capacities will be adjusted, hockey, figure skating and swim clubs will be limited to 10 people at the Town’s facilities, room rentals will be limited to 10 people and outdoor bookings at 25. 

“No doubt this is a tough call, particularly given the tremendous progress we’ve made in recent weeks here in Caledon,” said Thompson. “We need to go by the science and we need to protect the most vulnerable among us, so I ask the citizens of Caledon to continue to support one another: limit trips to essential purposes, wear a mask, physically distance, wash your hands and stay home if you are not feeling well. Together we can prevent something much worse.”

For more information please visit Caledon.ca or Ontario.ca for more updates. 



         

Facebooktwittermail


Readers Comments (0)


You must be logged in to post a comment.