911

Festive RIDE campaign has been launched

December 4, 2017   ·   0 Comments

The Holiday season is here, and Caledon OPP are now looking out for drivers who may have had too much celebrating.
OPP has launched the Festive Reduce Impaired Driving Everywhere (RIDE) campaign, which will run until Jan. 2.
Over the last 15 years (since 2003), 987 people have died in preventable alcohol/drug-related collisions on OPP-patrolled roads, and 464 (47 per cent) of those people killed were innocent victims, while the other 523 (53 per cent) were the at-fault impaired driver.
So far in 2017, 37 people have died in collisions linked to an alcohol or drug-impaired driver, 19 of whom were innocent victims. This year marks the fourth consecutive year to see a higher number of innocent people killed than impaired drivers who caused the collision.
With the annual Festive RIDE campaign getting underway last week, OPP wants road users to take away an important message from their traffic fatality data.
“The staggering number of innocent people who die in alcohol or drug-related collisions tells us that minding our own business about impaired drivers is the wrong thing to do,” OPP Deputy Commissioner Brad Blair said. “When you see an impaired driver on the road, call 9-1-1. If you are out with someone who is impaired and about to drive, present them with an alternative. If they proceed to drive, call 9-1-1. As difficult as it may be to report someone you know to police, living with the decision not to is far worse if that driver goes on to kill someone or themselves in a crash.”
“As we gather with family and friends this holiday season, let’s make safety a priority by planning ahead,” Community Safety and Correctional Services Minister Marie-France Lalonde. “Whether arranging for a designated driver, taking public transit, or suggesting alternate arrangements for someone you think is impaired — simple steps can ensure everybody arrives home safely.”

         

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusmail


Readers Comments (0)


You must be logged in to post a comment.