Keep safety rules in mind with fireworks for Victoria Day

May 15, 2017   ·   0 Comments

With Victoria Day celebrations fast approaching, Caledon Fire and Emergency Services remind retailers and homeowners that there are responsibilities when it comes to selling, purchasing and setting off fireworks.
The goal is to ensure holiday celebrations can be enjoyed safely by everyone.
Retailers can only sell fireworks during the 10 days prior to Victoria Day, starting May 12. All retailers must purchase a permit from Caledon Fire and Emergency Services at a cost of $179. Fire prevention staff will be conducting fire safety inspections to verify compliance with the bylaw and any other federal and provincial regulations.
The Town strictly prohibits setting off fireworks on public property, parkland, parks, roads or sidewalks. Fireworks can only be set off Victoria Day (May 22) and only then on private property. Discharging fireworks on any other day is in contravention of the bylaw and is subject to a fine.
Safety Guidelines
• Keep sparklers away from children. Hot sparklers can burn.
• Appoint a responsible person to be in charge.
• Carefully read and follow the directions on fireworks packaging.
• Always keep a hose or pail of water close by when discharging fireworks.
• Discharge fireworks well away from combustible materials such as buildings, trees or dry grass.
• Keep onlookers a safe distance away, upwind from the area where fireworks are discharged.
• Light only one firework at a time and only when they are on the ground.
• Never try to light a firework in your hand or re-light dud fireworks.
• For dud fireworks, wait 30 minutes, soak them in a bucket of water and then dispose of them in a metal container.
• If someone is burned, run cool water over the wound for three to five minutes and seek medical attention, if necessary.
• If using wheel-type fireworks nail them securely to a post or fence and allow spinning clearance.
• Be especially vigilant with children around.
Obtain a Permit
Permits can be obtained at Fire and Emergency Services, 6211 Old Church Rd., Caledon East.
For more information about the Town of Caledon Fireworks Bylaw, visit caledon.ca/by-laws.



Readers Comments (0)

You must be logged in to post a comment.